Experienced Matrimonial and Family Lawyers Serving Westchester and Putnam Counties and New York City
Chappaqua and New York City Divorce and Family Law Attorneys
At the Law Office of Grimes & Zimet, our attorneys and staff provide dedicated legal representation in various family law, employment, real estate and business matters. Together, we have over 75 years of combined legal experience that we use in the pursuit of an effective resolution of your matter. Many different legal issues are handled by our firm. Below are some of the types of cases that we handle, though we are not limited by this list.
Contact our Chappaque or New York law office today to schedule a consultation with a member of our legal team in either our Chappaqua or New York City office.
Our firm is highly sensitive to the numerous legal issues that people face regarding their family's future stability. We strive to help families work through all issues related to divorce and other family disputes in order to minimize the additional stress placed on the individual members. However, our family law attorneys do not shy away from taking cases to court and to trial if, and when, necessary. The following is a partial list of some of the family law issues that our firm handles:
- Divorce. In a divorce case, we pride ourselves on examining thoroughly all aspects of the marital relationship, including the finances of the parties, the needs of any children, and the reasons for the marriage breaking up. We work hard to pursue a marital settlement agreement which is in the best interests of our client and any children involved in the case. We also provide clients with representation in and information on divorce-related issues, such as:
- No-Fault Divorce. As of October 2010, married couples in New York, no longer have to prove a fault in order to get divorced. We are prepared to assist you in obtaining an uncontested no-fault divorce.
- High Conflict Divorces. Oftentimes it is not possible to resolve marital issues in an amicable manner. Our lawyers have considerable experience in litigating high conflict divorce matters.
- High Net Worth Divorces. Representing clients with considerable wealth may involve unique issues regarding the division of assets, valuation of businesses or determining the value of a professional license or degree. The attorneys at Grimes & Zimet have represented clients in these complex matters.
- Divorce Counsel Fees in Divorce Litigation. We are experienced in litigating counsel fee disputes, representing either the monied or the non-monied spouse.
- Collaborative Divorce. Our family law attorneys are trained in collaborative law, which is a process that does not involve court intervention and is considered one of the innovative methods of alternative dispute resolution. Both of the divorcing spouses agree to work out the divorce with the assistance of their trained collaborative attorneys and other professional members of the collaborative team structured to meet the client's needs. If the husband and wife cannot reach an agreement and have to resort to litigation, they will have to retain new counsel to represent them in court. Collaborative divorce is a non-adversarial process that can be a quicker, more peaceful, and less expensive method of ending a marriage than traditional divorce litigation.
- Mediation. Family divorce mediation can be an efficient and cost-effective way to resolve disputes over marital property, parenting plans, alimony, child support and other family law issues.
- Child Custody and Visitation. Our knowledgeable divorce lawyers can answer your questions about child custody law in New York State. We can: explain the difference between legal custody, joint custody and physical or residential custody; advise you of common holiday and summer access schedules; and suggest important considerations which are sometimes forgotten when drafting custody and visitation agreements and/or parenting plans.
- Child Support and Spousal Maintenance. New York Child Support Guidelines will be applied to calculate the amount of child support owed by the parent without primary physical custody. Spousal maintenance (also known as alimony) can be awarded by New York family courts after considering a number of factors, including the length of the marriage, the parties' income, education, standard of living, training, and earning capacity.
- Equitable Distribution All of the property accumulated during the marriage will be divided equitably between the husband and wife in the event of a divorce. Outstanding debts and bills must also be divided.
- Marital Agreements. Types of marital agreements in New York can include cohabitation agreements, prenuptial agreements, post-nuptial agreements, separation agreements and settlement agreements.
- Prenuptial Agreements. A carefully-drafted prenuptial agreement can preserve an individual's individual property, including rights in a family-owned business in the event of a future divorce.
- Modifications. Our firm handles issues where a standing family court order, such as one detailing child support or child custody, may require modification in order to continue to preserve the best interests of the child or to address unexpected changes in a financial position.
- Domestic Violence. Our family law attorneys provide comprehensive legal representation to clients with domestic violence issues, including obtaining or defending against orders of protections, and handling divorce actions where domestic violence occurred during the marriage.
- Adoption. We handle all aspects of adoption cases and can guide clients through the process of dealing with private adoptions, international adoptions, stepparent adoptions and grandparent adoptions, among others.
- Appeals Part of our practice is devoted to handling appeals for our matrimonial clients who wish to defend or to seek an additional review of a court decision.
Other Practice Areas:
- Real Estate The skilled lawyers at our firm handle various real estate matters. These issues require an attorney to be highly organized and very attentive to details, as are the attorneys at our firm. We review and draft real estate agreements such as leases and other contracts, handle the purchase and sale of property both residential and commercial, and assist clients through a number of other commercial and residential real estate matters.
- Labor and Employment Law In order to accommodate the needs of many of our individual and business clients, our firm offers comprehensive representation in labor and employment matters. Our partners were previously employed by Trans World Airlines (TWA) in executive-level positions, and have the labor and employment background needed to be effective in, and out of, the courtroom. Some of the types of issues we have handled include discrimination, sexual harassment, executive compensation, employment agreements, severance packages, and noncompete agreements.
- Estate Planning It is important that you take steps today to protect your assets and legacy for the future. Our lawyers can assist you in creating an estate plan that effectively preserves your wishes and estate. Our firm handles the following aspects of estate planning: wills, trusts, health care proxies (living wills), powers of attorney, and more. We also can guide you and represent your interests through the probate and estate administration processes.
- Business Law We offer a wide range of services to our business clients. Tailoring the type of representation we provide to suit the needs of each business, our firm handles business formations (including limited liability companies [LLCs], partnerships, limited liability partnerships [LLPs], and incorporations), shareholder agreements, business litigation, contracts, purchase or sale of a business, and collections. We also may act as general counsel to small businesses.