Chappaqua: 914-238-1377
New York City: 646-247-6365

Westchester County Post-Judgment Matters Attorneys

westchester county post judgment divorce lawyers

Lawyers for Post-Divorce Modification and Enforcement in Chappaqua and New York City

When you are working through a family-related legal concern, the attorney you choose can have a significant impact on the outcome of your case. At the law office of Grimes & Zimet, our team of skilled attorneys has more than 75 years of combined family law experience, and we are prepared to put our skill to work for you.

More so than in other areas of the law, an order entered by a Family Court judge can affect the involved parties for many years following the decision. A divorce decree, for example, may include provisions for spousal maintenance or child custody, which can reach decades into the future. As such, situations often arise in which legal action is necessary to modify or enforce the judgment. Our attorneys are fully equipped to help and ensure that your best interests continue to be protected.

Post-Judgment Modification

It is hardly reasonable to expect that nothing will change throughout the duration of a divorce judgment. When things do change, however, your existing judgment may no longer be sufficient or appropriate for the new situation. Modifying a judgment regarding child support, child custody, visitation, or spousal support is possible, but requires you to prove a significant change in circumstances or other reasonable cause. Justifications may include, but are not limited to:

  • The loss of a job or diminished earning capacity;
  • A sudden increase in income;
  • A change in the needs of a child or other party, including health-related needs;
  • A subsequent remarriage by either party; or
  • A party’s relocation to a new home.

In addition to helping you pursue modification, we are also prepared to assist you in disputing, when appropriate, the claims of the other party. Our lawyers work hard within the law, advocating on behalf at the negotiating table and in the courtroom when necessary.

Order Enforcement in New York

Once a judgment has been entered, compliance with its terms is not optional for any involved party. When the other party is not meeting her or her obligations, however, we will work with you in seeking enforcement action by the court. Non-payment of spousal maintenance or child support, for example, are serious concerns in New York and continued non-compliance can result in serious penalties and sanctions.

Call Us at 914-238-1377 Today

To learn more about modifying or enforcing a divorce judgment, contact the offices of Grimes & Zimet. We invite you to meet with us to discuss your case and explore the various options available to you. Call our Chappaqua office today at 914-238-1377 to schedule an appointment. We are proud to serve clients throughout Westchester County and the surrounding areas.

Back to Top