New York City Spousal Maintenance Attorneys
Often still referred to as alimony, spousal maintenance is the amount of money that is paid to the recipient or non-monied spouse (the spouse who was not the primary wage earner) during the course of divorce litigation or after a marriage ends. The whole purpose of maintenance is to maintain the non-monied spouse in a lifestyle that is comparable to that which was enjoyed during the marriage.
At the law offices of Grimes & Zimet in New York City and Chappaqua, New York, our firm provides comprehensive guidance and representation in all matters related to divorce and separation, including spousal maintenance. We use over 75 years of combined experience and an extensive knowledge of the New York divorce laws when handling our clients' cases. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with a skilled professional at our firm.
As of October 2010, the divorce laws in New York State were amended. Get in touch with a lawyer at our firm today to learn how these changes may affect your case.
Factors That Affect Maintenance
Several factors are taken into consideration when the court makes a determination regarding spousal maintenance, such as:
- Length of the marriage
- The substantial difference in incomes of the parties
- Age and health of the parties
- The availability of health insurance benefits
- Acts of domestic violence that may have inhibited a party's earning capacity
- Standard of living enjoyed by the parties during the marriage
- Earning capacity and potential of each party
- Wasteful dissipation of marital assets
- Care of any children that may decrease a party's earning capacity
- Need to pay for additional expenses for the children
- Non-financial contributions of the spouse seeking maintenance
Contact Our Lawyers Serving Westchester and Putnam Counties and New York City
For more information about how our firm handles maintenance matters, contact our New York City spousal maintenance attorneys today. Our legal team at Grimes & Zimet is highly skilled and can help you fully understand the impact of any decisions that may be made regarding spousal maintenance and alimony.
Call Us for Experienced Legal Help
914-238-1377 - Chappaqua Office
212-570-6375 - New York City Office